Header

Saturday, August 8, 2015

An 1850s Sunset

In the past I have mentioned my occupation as a historical re-enactor at an 1850s fur trading fort.  It's been a while since I've brought up this fascinating hobby, and I thought it was high time for an update.  I've not met many people who have experienced the thrill of acting out a part of history outside of my little community, and I'd be thrilled to answer any questions you may have on the subject.
Earlier this summer, I helped at the fort's camp for junior high students.  For the most part, the campers learned how to forge their own steel, make fires from that steel and flint, cook over their open fire, discover the history of the area, dress up in period clothing, and spend the night within the fort's walls.
In my experience, nothing can beat the overnight.  Especially when the sky is crystal clear and the moon is nearly full.  I brought my very un-period-correct camera along to document our lovely time, and now I'm here to share these photos with all of you.  Usually a lone fiddler or two will be playing their instruments across the fort while a few of the trappers discuss their business by the flagpole, coffee mugs in hand.  A few kids will have run up into the bastion to get a better view of the buildings and spy on the occasional onlooker, and my friends and I will finally be able to sit down on the factor's house veranda and take in the sweet evening air, still tinged with the scent of smoke from our supper.
It's so, so lovely.

As I took photos, all I could think about was the beauty of this place--the magic of twilight in this slice of preserved history.  Even though we have no photos, I can only imagine that their sunsets, 150 years ago, were just as stunning.  Isn't that incredible?  


Behind our blacksmith shop there's an old wooden canoe.  The little kids who come and visit love to sit inside and pretend their rowing up a river.  

After a little persuading, a friend of mine posed for a picture.  


This is one of my best friend (right) and I (left) in front of our woodshed.  The sun was just beginning to sink.





Here you're able to see a clear view of the bastion.





One of our fantastically talented fiddler. 

I laugh whenever I look at this picture because, as you can see, he still has his "Hello, my name is" badge on.  The height of Victorian fashion, didn't you know?




Here are the campers getting ready to learn The Virginia Reel.

One of our dance instructors.  



I often wonder if all the people who lived here so long ago experienced nights like this.  It's interesting to ponder the similarities and differences.  


6 comments:

  1. this is such a neat thing that you do, thanks for sharing the photos. :) it's incredible to see all the little details at the fort. thanks wooden canoe is lovely looking. :3

    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a cool hobby! I loved seeing all the details on the buildings and your clothing :) Thanks for sharing these awesome pictures! :D
    -Lydia
    http://dollyfernfriends.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! It's sounds like so much fun, and your pictures are breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning photos! I would love to re-enact some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are awesome! Wow! That looks like fun! I love visiting re-enactment places. It is fun seeing history come to life. :-)

    ReplyDelete